Deputy Head of Retail
We are seeking a Deputy Head of Retail to join our team based from our Head Office in London Bridge for a 9-12 month maternity cover contract (hybrid working).
The Retail team plays a key role in growing Southeastern’s business and helping to create a sustainable railway post Pandemic. It oversees all the selling channels for passenger revenue, both at station and online.
At a pivotal time for rail retailing, you will will be accountable for the day-to-day delivery of high quality, reliable and customer-friendly retail channels for Southeastern and for embedding significant fares and retail change into day-to-day operations and supporting the business with its revenue growth targets and customer satisfaction objectives.
The role oversees the retail support team and contract management of retail system suppliers, as well as managing our digital ticketing offerings.
Working closely with the Heads of Retail Strategy, Digital and Marketing you will help to manage strategic change and increase revenue for the business by seeking out new opportunities for the development of our retail operations.
You will manage a team of 4 who are responsible for a complex estate of in person and unattended retailing systems, and you will be the sponsor and scheme manager of the Southeastern smartcard The Key, and will guide the roll out of eTickets and drive a Mag Zero agenda across the business.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role we recommend you demonstrate the below in your application;
- Significant experience of rail ticketing, particularly ITSO and eTickets, and an understanding of the technical workings of this type of ticketing in rail.
- Significant understanding of the rail industry structure and the various organisations and systems that play a role in the retail space.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rail fares and ticketing regulations and compliance requirements.
- Astute and commercially driven, with a focus on revenue development and profitable income growth.
- Understanding of the importance of customer experience, focus on process excellence and operational delivery.
- Ability to build good relationships with key stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Leadership and management skills, able to lead effectively through complex change
- Skilled at managing budgets and high value specialist contracts.
- Experience of project management and project delivery.
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
We have also won the Top Employer award at the Women in Rail Awards 2022!
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SOUTHEASTERN is owned by SE Trains Ltd, a subsidiary of the Department for Transport’s public sector owning group, ‘DOHL.’ DOHL has responsibility for three rail companies, LNER, Northern Trains Limited and SE Trains.
SE Trains Limited