Major Programmes Scheme Project Manager
We are seeking a Project Manager (entry level) to join our team based from our Head Office in London Bridge (Hybrid Working).
The Major Programmes Team delivers large enhancement and business change projects and programmes both internally and in partnership with Network Rail, the Department for Transport and other operators or third party funders. The team is responsible for delivering a series of programmes within Southeastern which include a rolling stock cascade programme, the rollout of eTicketing, developing a closer alliance with Network Rail, depot improvement programmes, system replacements and other business change and continuity programmes.
You will take accountability for managing selected projects from the portfolio, and being responsible for the planning and execution of specific projects or tasks within larger programmes, ensuring it is all delivered into business as usual. This will include effectively identifying, managing and updating stakeholders at all relevant points through a project, programme or task.
You will manage stakeholders during the planning, design, execution, monitoring and controlling aspects of each project, ensuring that they are delivered into the business on time, to scope and to budget.
Additionally, this role interfaces with various third parties including the Department for Transport, Network Rail, other Train Operating Companies, RDG and GBRT.
If you are keen to learn, organised and enjoy working and communicating with lots of different people then we want to hear from you.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of delivering projects
- Experience of managing multiple parties and complex activities
- The ability to create a sense of teamwork amongst the disparate members of the project team
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Able to coordinate groups of people to deliver multiple tasks.
- Analytical skills and the ability to digest and resolve complex problems.
- Understanding of the commercial environment of a Train Operator, and able to apply that to project delivery.
- Able to deliver to tight timescales.
- Project Management Qualification (e.g APM or PRINCE2)
- Working knowledge of a Train Operating Company
- Knowledge of planning tool(s)
- Experience of budgetary control and resource allocation procedures
- Experience in contractual and financial management
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SOUTHEASTERN is owned by SE Trains Ltd, a subsidiary of the Department for Transport’s public sector owning group, ‘DOHL.’ DOHL has responsibility for three rail companies, LNER, Northern Trains Limited and SE Trains.
SE Trains Limited