Passenger Services Roster Clerk
We are currently seeking a motivated, enthusiastic individual to manage the day-to-day rostering activities for our Passenger Services staff, supporting the delivery of a safe, reliable and Customer Focused train service, achieved through efficient forward planning of resources.
- Produce efficient rosters for station staff within agreed production deadlines and distribute to staff and managers as required.
- Weekly ratification of rosters with Owning Manager/RM and provide list of uncovered duties.
- Recording and monitoring of ‘off track & unproductive time’, including training, medicals and ad hoc leave.
- Maintaining and updating accurate records for the stations, including equalisation, Annual leave, Rest days, and Sundays.
- Ensure the full handover of key information with other RC's as required.
- Support the development of efficient rosters during Timetable changes and in line with and local requirement changes.
- Assist with data compilation to support budget and forecast production.
- Assist with the scheduling of staff for training and other release as required, ensuring costs are within forecast and kept to a minimum.
- Ensure strict deadlines for information required by the Payroll department are adhered to.
- Arrange the release of staff, as required, to attend meetings, training and any other non-productive requirements.
- Prepare draft rosters to assist the RM and managers with PA/Local changes.
The Ideal Candidate
Southeastern aims to recruit people not just for jobs but for long term careers. We want good quality, talented people with the right attitude who will stay with us.
For these reasons we look for evidence of Southeastern values in all potential staff and our existing staff looking for promotion along with the particular experience/knowledge, skills and behaviour's relevant to the position applied for. These are:
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications – Essential
- Proficient in; Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word applications.
- Experienced in all elements of the rostering process.
- Thorough knowledge of conditions of service applicable to station staff.
- Completed or working towards Ability to obtain Vocational Qualification in Business Administration (Level 2).
- Excellent working knowledge of relevant IRMA functionality.
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications – Desirable
- Thorough knowledge of relevant Southeastern train service patterns coupled with a good understanding of Network Rail and/or HS1 geography.
- Awareness of rules, instructions and Railway Group and Company standards pertaining to station staff.
Behaviours and Skills – Essential
- Excellent attention to detail
- Sound decision making skills
- Flexible approach to working
- Report writing skills
- Customer awareness and focus
- Planning and organising
- Excellent team working
- Good communication, negotiation, motivational skills
- Behaves in an even-tempered manner putting everyone at ease and appears friendly and approachable
- Speaks respectfully to and about colleagues and customers regardless of their culture, age, background etc. and uses appropriate and professional language at all times.
- Keeps problems in perspective and promptly carries out appropriate urgent actions
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 24 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays).
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,500 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
London & Southeastern Railway