Service Engineer Level 1
Closing on 21st June 2021
Working on our fleet as part of a team, you will be responsible for carrying out a range of routine repairs, examination work and first level fault finding as directed by our Production Delivery Engineer. At Southeastern we are dedicated to providing our customers with a reliable transport structure, striving to complete tasks to the required standards and specifications.
You will work 10 hours a day in a roster of 4 days on and 4 days off alternating between days and nights. Typical shifts are 8AM – 6 PM or 6:30 PM – 4:30 AM, with two 15 minutes breaks and a 35 minute lunch break. Ideally you will have your own transport to get to and from your place of work.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experienced in an engineering discipline (skilled mechanical and/or electrical work).
- NVQ 2 in engineering maintenance, mechanical or equivalent
- Able to carry out first level fault finding and follow schematics and diagrams
- Physically fit and able to pass a medical to engineering standard.
- Previous rolling stock maintenance experience desirable
- Customer focus
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- 32 days annual leave entitlement (including bank holidays)
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,000 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
London & Southeastern Railway