THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION IS 31st AUGUST
As a Shunter Driver you will be responsible for ensuring vehicles are shunted/driven and prepared for service. Driving a train carries great responsibility but with that comes pride and achievement, knowing that an invaluable service has been delivered.
We’re looking for a great mix of talented people with concentration, co-ordination and a talent for customer service too – our training provides all the skills and knowledge you'll need to operate a train.
Shunter Driving is a safety critical role, so you must be aged over 21 to apply
On appointment into a Shunter Driver role you will be enrolled into the Shunter Driver Apprenticeship Programme which will lead to a nationally recognised qualification.
You will work a varied shift pattern, which includes weekends, bank holidays and nights. Please note you must live within 40 minutes driving distance to Grove Park in order to be considered.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking applications from people of all backgrounds who can demonstrate the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive approach to problem solving and decision making
- Disciplined with a respect for rules & procedures
- Punctual and reliable
- Willing to demonstrate our values on a day to day basis
See what our Shunter Driver Hannah had to say about why she applied;
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- 24 days annual leave entitlement (which includes bank holidays) and a proportion of your annual leave is rostered.
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
- Full training, a nationally recognised qualification and free uniform
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,000 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SE Trains Limited