Trainee Train Conductor
Please note that we will be accepting applications up until 10th February 2022.
As soon as a passenger gets on one of our trains it is up to you to ensure they feel welcome, comfortable and safe. Whether you’re greeting them or issuing them with a ticket you’ll adopt the same polite, personable, professional approach.
Issues with Passengers tickets, and especially delays can be distressing for our Passengers. At those times, the quality of your communication skills and your attention to detail are paramount. By applying excellent decision making skills and ensuring you stay calm under pressure you will be ready for any problem that comes your way.
You’ll also need to be comfortable with responsibility, as you’ll be looking after the safety and security of thousands of people every day. With a mixture of classroom and work based learning, you can qualify to become a Southeastern Conductor within around 3 months and gain the skills required to deal with any possible circumstance.
On appointment into a Trainee Conductor role you will be enrolled into the Conductor Apprenticeship Programme which will lead to a nationally recognised qualification.
You will work a varied shift pattern, which includes weekends, bank holidays and nights.
You may be required to start work before the first train in the morning and some shifts will mean you will finish after the last train has dispatched for the evening – so ideally you will have your own transport to get to and from your place of work.
Interested? Click apply and submit your application to be considered for these exciting opportunities.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for these opportunities, you should demonstrate the following in your application:
- Face to face customer service experience
- Cash handling experience
- A passion for delivering excellent customer service
- Communication skills
- Ability to work calmly and make decisions under pressure
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Resilient and able to remain professional in confrontational situations
- IT skills
- Live within a 15 miles of the Depot you are applying for - this important to ensure that there is adequate rest between shifts and that your journeys to and from work are as safe as possible.
- Be over 18 years old
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- 30 days annual leave entitlement (which includes bank holidays)
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
- Full training, a nationally recognised qualification and free uniform
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,700 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SE Trains Limited