Area General Purpose Relief
This is a highly responsible role as you will oversee the day-to-day activities of the station staff. Your leadership, deployment and direction of the team will ensure they provide a welcoming environment and first class customer service. You will also play your part in the efficient running of services by ensuring the team carry out their safety and security duties effectively. You will lead by example and role-model the company’s behaviours and standards.
You will work a varied shift pattern, which includes weekends, bank holidays and nights.
You may be required to start work as early as 0530 hrs and some shifts will mean you will finish after the last train has dispatched for the evening – so ideally you will have your own transport to get to and from your place of work.
This is what some of our existing station staff have to say....
“The elements I enjoy most are getting to know our customers and getting stuck into any problems that arise and coming up with solutions.”
“I undertake regular inspection tours of the station, checking everything from the tidiness of the platforms to the safe and smooth operation of the ticket gates.”
“To do this job well you need to be willing to learn new skills.”
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role you must be able to demonstrate:
- Previous supervisory experience
- Customer Service skills/experience
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- The ability to work calmly under pressure
- A pro-active ‘can do’ attitude
- The ability to deal with difficult passengers
- Knowledge of Southeastern and our values
- A positive and professional outlook
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 32 days annual leave entitlement (which includes bank holidays).
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
- Full training and free uniform
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,500 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
London & Southeastern Railway