Southeastern Railway are looking to recruit for a new and exciting role as Safeguarding Manager.
This role will be working as part of the wider Revenue, Crime and Enforcement Team looking to build and develop the safeguarding strategy in line with company obligations.
This will be a varied role where you will be working to strengthen relationships with outside agencies and stakeholders to improve the Southeastern safeguarding profile.
You will be managing the activities and effectiveness of Enforcement Team and work with Network Rail to promote the Travel Safe, Travel Smart portfolio of works by taking steps to reduce individuals posing a threat to passengers and staff as well as dealing with issues relating to homelessness, juvenile runaways, missing persons and other vulnerable persons.
You will also be responsible for managing, developing and delivering the Southeastern Juvenile Policy, outlining Southeastern's approach to juvenile people on the railway.
Some of the main challenges with this role will include influencing multiple departments to get them to align with safeguarding strategies and building and maintaining relationships with a variety of outside agencies.
This role will include managing a team of 2 people, ensuring that full delivery of company obligations are met.
This is generally a Monday - Friday role, where you will be in complete control of your own diary, however specific commitments such as attending events and activities mean that the hours may not be standard working hours. This role will be across the whole of the Southeastern network, so candidates must be willing and able to travel.
This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Applicants must declare all criminal history including arrested, summoned, charged, cautioned or convicted offences including traffic related offences whether as an adult or a juvenile on their application form.
For the purpose of the BTP vetting you will be required to demonstrate evidence that you have been a UK resident for a minimum of 3 years
In addition, successful candidates will be subject to NPPV Level 2 Vetting undertaken by the British Transport Police.
- Strengthening relationships with outside agencies and stakeholders to improve the Southeastern safeguarding profile
- Delivering the Safeguarding and other associated strategies in line with the committed obligations of the Passenger Services Contract
- Managing the activities and effectiveness of the Multi-Agency and Enforcement Team and working with Network Rail to promote and increase the Travel Safe, Travel Smart portfolio of works
- Taking steps to reduce individuals posing a threat to passengers and staff, sexual harassment, homelessness, juvenile runaways, missing persons and other vulnerable people on Southeastern
- Developing, delivering and managing the Southeastern Juvenile Policy and the Southeastern approach to juvenile people on the railway
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a proven track record of managing the delivery of complex ideas and strategies to a multi-agency audience
- Be able to demonstrate experience of using intelligence and data in order to deliver consistent improvement
- Have proven success in a customer service/results orientated environment
- Have experience of managing a team
- Have strong interpersonal skills with experience of results focused deliver
Previous experience within an area of safeguarding would also be beneficial.
Due to the nature of the role, candidates will be required to undertake and attain up to level 2 vetting.
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
About the Company
Southeastern is one of the busiest commuter rail companies in the UK running more than 2,000 trains, and carrying nearly 600,000 passengers every day between London, Kent and East Sussex.
Just over 4,500 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
SE Trains Limited